Do you have a book in you, waiting to be written? Do you have the ideas and the material, but lack the time, talent or inclination to turn the book in your head into a book on the shelf? Then you need a ghostwriter.
An experienced author and ghostwriter, I work with clients to create engaging non-fiction books. I rewrite books, knocking them into shape, and I write books from scratch, based on the client’s concept and, if required, my own ideas.
Over the years I’ve ghostwritten all kinds of books, from short ebooks up to full-length print books. It’s by far the hardest work I do – but it’s also the most rewarding, because I love to write.
Why work with a ghostwriter?
Ghostwriting is a growing service area. Many clients want to ‘write’ a book, but lack the time, ability and/or interest to do so.
You may hire a ghostwriter for all kinds of reasons:
- You want a book to use as a marketing hook for your business.
- You dream of being published and have a fantastic idea, but you’re struggling to actually get words on paper.
- You’re already published, but find you can’t write quickly enough to please readers and keep up with the market.
- You see publishing as a business opportunity, and want to create a brand that regularly publishes a certain kind of book.
But isn’t ghostwriting cheating? people ask. My answer: Not at all; the ghostwriter is entirely accepted in the publishing industry. If you want a great, polished book, but you don’t have the time or skills to achieve this yourself, then ghostwriting offers the solution: your book, your way.
My non-fiction specialism
While I do take on some fiction ghostwriting commissions (adult and children’s books), I’m usually to be found ghostwriting a non-fiction book.
I’ve worked on more than 70 For Dummies books for the publisher John Wiley & Sons, and as a ghostwriter I draw on that experience to write user-friendly, accessible non-fiction guides. The following are fundamental to my non-fiction writing style:
- Logical structure: The book is built upon a carefully organised, logical structure that tells the reader where they are, where they’ve been and where they’re going.
- Sparkling clarity: No waffle, no padding, no vague or ambiguous statements – just crisp, clear wording.
- A strong and confident author voice: The book positions the author as an expert in the subject matter, a knowledgeable expert whom the reader can trust – and like, thanks to the polite and warm tone of the writing.
I write non-fiction books across a range of genres, from health, parenting and psychology, to business and education. The nature of a ghostwriter is to be a chameleon and to adopt the character of the client when writing, so in my career I’ve written as many different people, from chef to fitness instructor, soldier-for-hire to psychologist, internet dater to ‘love guru’, SEO specialist to serial entrepreneur.
My ghostwriting service
This service is bespoke, tailored to the client’s needs. The client delivers the concept and any materials required, and then I write the book.
I ask all prospective clients to answer the following questions:
- What are the basics of your book (subject, genre, length)?
- Why do you want to publish the book?
- Do you have (or want to secure) a contract with a publisher, or are you looking to self-publish?
- Have you checked what competing books exist?
- Who is the target reader for your book?
A note on marketability: If your book is a commercial project (you want to publish it for profit), I advise you to consider carefully whether the project is viable. Your book needs to sell in sufficient numbers to cover the cost of ghostwriting and all other costs associated with publishing.
I assess each ghostwriting request carefully, and I take on a project only when I’m satisfied that:
- I will work well with the client.
- I’m interested in the subject matter.
- The book created will be of suitable quality.
- If required, the book will be marketable.
Should we decide to work together, I will recommend that I write a sample chapter before proceeding with the full book, so that you can be sure I’m the right ghostwriter for you.